Malnutrition is a widely-known problem in most of the countries. As the problem continuously escalates to another level, Pakistan plans to improve the nutritional value of its crops through biofortification.
Biofortification is a process wherein plant breeding and biotechnology techniques are combined to produce a high-mobility and enriched-with-nutrients plants. Aside from these, below is the list of benefits that it offers:
- High market rate due to the micronutrients content
- Decreases the chances of diseases
- Also, it helps improve the immunity system, body weight, and infection resistance of the people
- Boost the economy of local farmers
- Helps farmers to have a sustainable source of income for its high-quality produce
Source: Tanveer Ahmad, et. al, Technology Times | Photo from Flickr
Thus, you can read the full story here.