Vertical farms offer solutions to the increasing demands in food production. Furthermore, a company in Japan, Spread Co., plans to build the world’s largest automated leaf-vegetable factory. Aiming to achieve the goal of low-cost technological farming, the said company plans to succeed in the following conditions:
- Grow more than 30,000 heads of lettuce a day through custom-made LED-lights at a fixed amount.
- Pesticide-free crops with no exposure to weather conditions.
- Make indoor farming in the country profitable with fewer expenses on production.
- Produce low-cost organic vegetables.
- Mitigate the effects of climate change.
- Allow indoor farming available and accessible to all.
Source: Aya Takada, Bloomberg | Photo by Syahirhakim, Pixabay
Meanwhile, you can read the full story here.